Monday, March 09, 2009

Mailbox Monday-- Oops!

I fell off the wagon a bit last week, with only 5 books being sent to new homes and 12 books coming in. It could've been worse: several of the books from other Paperback Swap members seem to be tied to the backs of tortoises! Nine of the newcomers were from Paperback Swap, and three were books that I bought at Target. I received a $200 gift card from the company for my anniversary, and it dawned on me that I was spending it all on groceries and cleaning supplies. I decided to spend a bit on myself. Here's the rundown of what came into my house last week:

--Death in the Dark Walk by Deryn Lake (PBS), the first John Rawlings mystery. The series is based on two real people: Sir John Fielding, the blind magistrate of the Bow Street courts, and John Rawlings, the apothecary reputed to have invented soda water.

--Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe by James M. Ward (PBS), which Publishers Weekly called "Hogwarts goes to sea."

--Winter Study by Nevada Barr (PBS), next up for me in one of my favorite mystery series. Anna Pigeon is back at Isle Royal in Lake Superior...in the winter this time. I would imagine I'll be reading this under six layers of blankets!

--What Is Mine by Anne Holt (PBS), the American debut of a Norwegian writer. With all the excellent Scandinavian crime fiction these days, I'm eager to read this one!

--The Great Inland Sea by David Francis (PBS). "After witnessing his mother's death, Day flees his remote family farm in New South Wales to become caretaker of a racehorse named Unusual, with whom he travels to America." Later on, Day returns to Australia to nurse his ailing father.

--The Black Hand by Will Thomas (PBS), the latest in one of my favorite historical mystery series featuring private enquiry agent Clive Barker and his assistant, Thomas Llewelyn in Victorian London.

--People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (Target), about an Australian rare book expert, one of the earliest Jewish illuminated books...and the book's secrets.

--Safe Passage by Ida Cook (PBS). "The Remarkable True Story of Two Sisters Who Rescued Jews from the Nazis."

--Out Stealing Horses by Norwegian Per Petterson (Target), is about Trond Sander, a 67-year-old man who moves from the city to a remote, riverside cabin.

--In the Woods by Tana French (Target), won the Edgar Award for Best First Novel by an American Author. "Three small children leave their small Dublin neighborhood to play in the surrounding woods. Hours later, their mothers' calls go unanswered. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children, gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours."

--Endymion Spring by Matthew Skelton (PBS), a Young Adult book about a voiceless boy with a terrible secret, a book that feeds on children, and a door to boundless power and forbidden knowledge.

--Northwest Rainforest Pioneers, Narratives and Photography by Claudia Harper, which tells about the everyday life of the early settlers in the Pacific Northwest.

There you go--what came into my house last week! If you'd like to participate in this fun meme or just check out what books other folks received, click on the hungry-looking mailbox at the top of this post to be taken to Marcia's The Printed Page.





19 comments:

  1. Winter Study was great! (I can't believe that I'm ahead of you in a series!)

    Several other books here are already on my wish list. The last one looks fantastic!! I lived in Oregon for a couple of years and I love the pioneer era. Can't wait to hear what you think of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People of the Book is a wonderful story. I enjoyed it immmensely.
    Here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot of good things about In the Woods.

    here's my mailbox: http://savvyverseandwit.blogspot.com/2009/03/mailbox-monday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two books I have read this week! I feel quite well-read, suddenly :)

    I reviewed the Anne Holt book and the sequel in January. I like her very much, perhaps even better for her older series which has not been translated.
    The Tana French book is also good, I think.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Midshipwizard actually sounds like a fun read - I hope you enjoy it Cathy. :)

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safe Passage and Out Stealing Horses sounds so good. Happy reading!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did fall off the wagon, but that's okay. It's a great addiction to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth--you're probably ahead of me in more series than you realize! The book about the PNW pioneers is a skinny little thing, so once I sit down to read it, it won't take me long!

    Kaye--thanks for the recommendation of People of the Book!

    Serena--I have, too. That's one of the reasons why I broke down and got it. (Besides being 35% off the cover price....)

    Thanks, Gautami!

    Dorte--I'm so glad you liked What Is Mine and In the Woods!

    Wendi--I'm looking forward to reading Midshipwizard. It does sound like fun!

    Anna--I'm really looking forward to reading those two. It's too bad I don't have multiple heads and eyeballs so I can really make a dent in my TBR shelves!

    Kathy--you're right. I'd rather fall off the book wagon than just about any other wagon I can think of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome book list! I really want to read People of the Book. In the Woods sound scary. I will definitely have to read more about this book before deciding whether or not to read it. I look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, that's an awesome list of books, Cathy!
    I hope to hear from you about In The Woods soon :-)

    My mailbox can be found here...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alyce--People of the Book is one of those titles that I just kept seeing in the blogiverse, and I finally had to break down and get a copy! In the Woods does sound scary. Usually my tolerance of scary is quite high, but I'll be keeping you in mind when I read and review it!

    Kathrin--I have to admit that In the Woods is calling to me loudest from the TBR shelves. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah Cathy, then I have good chances to read your review soon? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not as soon as I'd like. Not only do I have a house guest arriving tomorrow night (which is a joy, not a chore), I also have a couple of Advance Reading Copies to take care of first!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great list. I've already figured out we have much the same taste when it comes to books, so now I have a much expanded list. Um, thanks, I think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Belle--I know what you mean! But I'd much rather have a huge list and plenty of books than the alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for stopping by the mailbox this week. Elizabeth from http://needmoreshelves.blogspot.comand I are reading 'People of the Book' this coming week for By the Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kelly--thanks for the thumbs up on In the Woods. I'm reading it now, and I have to say that French's writing style has me hooked!

    Marcia--I saw that, and I'm keeping an eye on the posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!