Sunday, December 21, 2008

REVIEW: The Tales of Beedle the Bard


Title: The Tales of Beedle the Bard
Author: J.K. Rowling
ISBN: 9780545128285/ Arthur A. Levine
Young Adult
Rating: A

First Line: The Tales of Beedle the Bard is a collection of stories written for young wizards and witches.










Translated from the Ancient Runes by Hermione Granger

Commentary by Albus Dumbledore

Introduction, Notes, and Illustrations by J.K. Rowling


How on earth could any Harry Potter fan pass this book up after reading the above three lines? I know I couldn't! I picked up this book last night, and I've never had 111 pages fly by so quickly. There are five tales included in the book: The Wizard and the Hopping Pot, The Fountain of Fair Fortune, The Warlock's Hairy Heart, Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump, and The Tale of the Three Brothers. Each is followed by commentary from Albus Dumbledore.

Each tale has a lesson to teach, and the commentary and footnotes by Dumbledore add a great deal to the book's enjoyment-- especially his telling of Beatrix Bloxam's reworking of the very first tale. It would be difficult for me to choose a favorite from among these tales, but I have to admit a fondness for The Wizard and the Hopping Pot because of my twisted mind. The Hopping Pot reminds me that one of my favorite dishes to prepare in my crock pot is Hoppin' John. Every time I see the title of this tale, I have a mental picture of being chased by a big enchanted pot of Hoppin' John!

The only thing I can find to complain about with The Tales of Beedle the Bard is its brevity. This was, indeed, another case of my turning the last page and becoming Oliver Twist. Please, Miss--I want some more!

===

Scholastic will give the net proceeds from the sale of each book to the Children's High Level Group, a charity cofounded in 2005 by J.K. Rowling and Baroness Nicholson of Winterbourne, MEP. The Children's High Level Group campaigns to protect and promote children's rights and make life better for vulnerable young people.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I have a copy sitting by my chair in the living room. I was going to read it Christmas Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this for my hubby for Christmas - that way I can read it too. Glad to see it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed it, too. While short, it's still fun and Dumbledore's comments feel like a nice, warm place to come home to. I miss him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Cathy - sounds like a fun twist to the normal books. :) You've been Stumbled!

    Merry Christmas!

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son found this in his stocking on Christmas morning - he was thrilled! (and also said "it was too short")

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!