Sunday, November 02, 2008

Mailbox Monday: She Needs to Rent a U-Haul


How can it be November already?!? I had quite a bit of success with the books I posted at Paperback Swap. I mailed out 36 books last week, and only 11 came in. One lady in particular has gotten at least 30 of my books since I joined. I just sent another 4 to her! I'm tempted to tell her to fly over, rent a U-Haul, come over here and load up all the books she wants from my shelves. For some reason the phrase "kid in a candy store" comes to mind. Since I joined Paperback Swap at the end of August, I've mailed out 200 books and found an excellent source for the books I want, so I recommend it to anyone who wants to weed out their books (and get more of course). Anyway, let's get back on track. Here are the books that came into the house last week:

--
A Place of Safety by Caroline Graham, next up in the Inspector Barnaby mystery series.

--Bones in the Desert by Jana Bommersbach, true crime that happened here in Phoenix.

--Duma Key by Stephen King. Long gone are the days when I snapped up every King book as soon as it was published, but I'll still indulge if his latest sounds interesting.

--Outsider in Amsterdam by Janwillem van de Wetering is the first in a new-to-me series set in...Amsterdam.

--American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon by Steven Rinella is an ARC I received from Bostick. It's a memoir based on the author's fascination with the American bison; one I share. If asked for my personal pick of an image from the natural world that says, "America" to me, I don't see a bald eagle. I see herds of buffalo roaming the Great Plains.

--The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. Blog reviews of this book have been interesting. I'm looking forward to my own reaction to it.

--The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson is the first in a trilogy of Swedish mysteries that has gotten a lot of press.

--Killing Cousins by Gene Stratton is the first of the Mort Sinclair mysteries. Set off the New England coast, it features a genealogist as the detective.

--In Plain Sight by C.J. Box, next up in my reading of the mystery series featuring Wyoming Game and Fish warden Joe Pickett.

--Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky by Kathi Appelt and Jeanne Cannella Schmitzer. Supposedly for ages 8-12, this book is loaded with photos and tells about the WPA program that sent young people out on horse and muleback in the mountains of Kentucky during the Depression. Their goal: to bring books and magazines to the people in those remote areas.

--That Book Woman by Heather Henderson is for ages 4-8 and tells the story of the pack horse librarians of Kentucky through a little boy living in the remote mountain region.

That's all, folks! If you'd like to join this fun meme or to see what books other participants have received in the last week, just click on the mailbox graphic at the top of this post!




7 comments:

  1. I loved The Gargoyle - hope you do, too. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - again - congrats on getting rid of so many via PBS! I'm starting to add books over there. :) (Thanks for your help on that!)

    You received some very interesting books - I've heard great things about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo!

    :) Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic book week you've had! I have to agree about the King books - it used to be that I bought them all the day they hit shelves, now I wait and get them from the used bookshop.

    Hope you enjoy all your reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great week! congrats on your success with the PBS system.

    The range of books looks great - especially nice that the American Buffalo book hits home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess which one caught my eye... and I really enjoyed it. :-)

    --Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike: I was thinking about you as I was standing at the book table at Costco trying to decide if I was going to buy it or not. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by the 'mailbox' this week. Your mention of 'Gargoyle' reminds me that I need to add it to my Raved-About Reads challenge list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!