Thursday, November 06, 2008

Booking Through Thursday--The First Gift Out of the Starting Gate

What, if any, memorable or special book have you ever gotten as a present? Birthday or otherwise. What made it so notable? The person who gave it? The book itself? The “gift aura?”


The very first book that sprang to mind was Classic Lines by Richard Stone Reeves and Patrick Robinson. It is a huge (over 12 inches tall and at least 18 inches across) art book showcasing the foundation sires of the best Thoroughbred race horses of the time. (It was published in 1975.) Due to its publication date, it's difficult to find a JPEG of its cover, so I sat it on my desk to photograph it. I didn't adjust the lighting, but you can get an idea of the cover anyway.



It is a numbered copy and signed by the author. When I first found out about the book, I drooled over it, but it cost $75 and I couldn't afford it. I didn't think Mom could either, but when I opened a large wrapped box at Christmas...there it was. I don't think I left it alone until I'd read the entire thing and had soaked up each illustration! (Good thing she gave it to me last, isn't it?)


What made the book so special? The book itself. I love horse racing. I love art. And I love the fact that Mom went to so much trouble and expense to get this book for me. You should've seen the smile on my face when I learned that, during one of her trips to Kentucky, Ronald Reagan gave Queen Elizabeth II a copy of this book!

If you want to participate in this fun meme or if you just want to read more responses to it, click on the Booking on Thursday logo at the top of this post.



10 comments:

  1. It certainly looks like a beautiful book. What a thoughtful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome gift! so so so special!
    it looks so cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect gift for a horse/book lover. Happy Booking Through Thursday. I'm giving away a couple of books. See my sidebar if you're interested.
    http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful book. It reminds me that I need to place a pictorial on labradors on my wishlist!

    Over the years my friends have cringed from giving me books for my birthday owing to my eclectic taste. I wish to express my desire for a bookstore gift-card but yet it sounds a bit inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mm, if there's any gift better than a book, it has to be a book with beautiful illustrations :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what an amazing Mom! And I bet she saved it until last just to see the happiness and awe on your face as you devoured it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful book! What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great book to have! Don't you love it when things you love pop up unexpectedly like that? =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love oversized books! This one looks beautiful (your pics came out great). Very special story about how this came into your hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I am not much into horse boks, the pictures look good to me...

    Booking through presents

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!