Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuesday Thingers--Legacy Libraries


This week's question: Legacy libraries. With which legacy libraries do you share books? Tell us a little about a couple of them and what you share.



I was aware of Legacy Libraries, but hadn't checked into the feature until someone actually showed me how to do it. (One of my Duh Moments.) It seems that I share quite a few books with quite a few famous people. With the size of Hemingway's library, it's going to be a miracle if a person does not share any books with him. No miracles here: I share the most with Hemingway--135. Since I am not a Hemingway fan, this fact doesn't exactly make my toes curl.

One that does make me smile is the fact that I share 80 books with one of the world's best storytellers, Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen)--anything from Charles Dickens to Sir Walter Scott to Daphne Du Maurier to Nicolai Gogol.

The other made my face light up: Carl Sandburg. I share 96 books with Sandburg--Dante, Bronte, Tolstoy, Faulkner, Steinbeck, Dickens, Hardy...all the way to some that are more obscure--Budge's Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics, Oliver LaFarge's Laughing Boy, and the one that made my day. Some of you may remember a previous TuesdayThingers post when I mentioned having books written by Dora Aydelotte, a woman who lived in my small farm town. Well, Sandburg had one of her books, too! So, a big Thank You to Marie for this week's question!

Want to see more answers to the TuesdayThingers meme? Just click on the graphic at the top of this post.


9 comments:

  1. The fact that you have all of your books listed on Library Thing must be part of your librarian gene. My books are pretty much just my current reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet it's due entirely to my librarian gene! I couldn't contemplate doing anything else--it would go completely against the grain! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy - thanks for stopping by my site and answering the question I posed on Tuesday Thingers - I value your insight!

    :) Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, ooh! Me, me! I have no matches with Hemingway! Course I've only catalogued my reading for the last two years and am not into classics. Thus, no matches. I am sure (at least that's what I tell myself) that I would make more matches if I put in all that I've ever read. Sure, yeah, right. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share lots with Carl Sandburg too - who is he, I've never heard of him?

    I think it's the classics that are the overlap. All in all I thought this was a fascinating topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share 50 with Sandburg and 60 with Hemingway. I love the Legacy Libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...you have a lot of books listed in your library. three times mine...which may be why you share three times as many books with anyone as I do.

    I think I may be suffering from some sort of LT competitive streak...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! you have alot of matches....which mean you have alot of books too!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!