Monday, October 20, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Are You a Serial Reader?


Today's question: Series. Do you collect any series? Do you read series books? Fantasy? Mystery? Science fiction? Religious? Other genre? Do you use the series feature in LT to help you find new books or figure out what you might be missing from a series?

Oh. My. Word. Do I read series books? I'm in the midst of reading so many series, I'll have to live to the ripe old age of 512 before I finish them all--that is, if the authors stop writing them at some point. The vast majority of the series books I read are mysteries--easily 98%. The only non-mystery series I read that I can think of right at the moment are Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and Cynthia Harrod-Eagles' Morland (Dynasty) series. Okay. Now that I went to all the trouble to type that, I've remembered a couple more: Kage Baker's Sci-Fi "The Company" series and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. (I'm holding off on reading Breaking Dawn. Not because I don't want the series to end, but because I overdosed on Edward's beauty. I'm one of those cranky women who distrust Pretty Boys.) I'm sure there are others, but they refuse to rise to the surface.

As for mysteries, I'll try to keep to the highlights: Peter Bowen's marvelous Gabriel Du Pré series, Craig Johnson's Sheriff Walt Longmire, Kate Ellis' Wesley Peterson, Deborah Crombie's Kincaid and James...oh, I give up! If you want to know, just take a look down the right sidebar of my blog! I think most character-driven readers (like myself) are going to gravitate to series reads because they give us the best opportunities to see our favorite characters grow...develop...change.

I have my catalog set to show books in series. I don't use LibraryThing to find more series books, however. I have other sources for that, and I use the excellent mystery website Stop, You're Killing Me! to help me keep reading them all in order.

If you want to read other responses to this fun meme, just click on the Tuesday Thingers graphic at the top of this post!


17 comments:

  1. I can see that I'll have to keep my eye out for some of those books that you mention. By the Way I really love your blog layout and colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see someone reads series like me. You know I have yet to read any of Diana Gabaldon's books. I have had the first one setting on my shelf for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Outlander but didn't like it much, so I did not continue the series. I've read a couple of Tess Gerritson's books and I guess she usually has that one detective (Maura Iles?) in them, but I never really pay attention to that, just the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a Twilight fan, though I did read all of the books (for work), and I'm with you on not trusting Edward...but for me, it's more because he seems to perfect and overprotective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to be a seriesaholic! :-)
    I love the Twilight series...go ahead and read Breaking Dawn, I'm almost 300 pages in and I can't seem to put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know LT has a series feature, but I'll be checking it out. Most of the series I read are mysteries, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the name of the site you mention, *Stop, you're killing me!* very clever.

    I'm not in the midst of a series now, but when I answered this question (and looked to my LT catalog for info) I found more than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love SYKM and mysteries too. I am trying to work my way through all the Agatha, Anthony and Edgar winners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard so many good things about the Outlander series.

    Shana
    Literarily

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! I also read a ton of series and I don't think we have any that overlap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love series books for exactly the reason you said. Once I get attached to a character, I don't want their story to end. I've not read any of the series (serieses?!? no, that can't be right) you mentioned, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - you've listed a bunch of series I was not aware of! I'll have to pick up a few and see how I like them. :)

    Here is my first Tuesday Thingers post:

    http://wendisbookcorner.blogspot.com/2008/10/tuesday-thingers.html

    ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy series mysteries too. I think I'll check out some of the ones you mentioned. Thanks for the link to the mystery series site. I've never been there before and it's a great site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must read Breaking Dawn soon! You will love what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a huge series reader and collector! Mostly mystery also. And I'm one of _those_ people who have to read series in order, to see the character(s) develop through each book. Though I use the UK's Fantastic Fiction for series order, I will also check out Stop You're Killing Me for that. I have been to that website, but not very often. And, just FYI, I use GoodReads instead of LibraryThing. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol I agree about Edward being too much of a pretty boy, I much prefer the rough and tumble ones.

    I haven't read very many mystery series' although I love the monthly Ellery Queen magazines. And I totally forgot about the Outlander series, I've read the first one and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!