Monday, October 06, 2008

Mailbox Monday




















Last week I said I wouldn't be surprised if Paperback Swap coughed up big time. I was right, as you can see by the photo above. Here are the titles that I added to my TBR pile last week:

--A Whole New Life by Betsy Thorton (mystery). I've really enjoyed her Chloe Newcomb series set in my favorite old mining town, Bisbee, Arizona (called "Dudley" in the books), so naturally I thought I'd give this one a try.

--A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters (mystery), the first in the Brother Cadfael series. The medieval period in history is one of my favorites, so I don't know what took me so long to get to this series.

--Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme by Chris Roberts (Literary history). The author does walking tours of London and got the idea for this book from doing research for his tours. I'm a sucker for trivia!

--Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen (mystery/thriller). Although my serial killer reading has gone way down in recent years, this is supposed to be a good'un.

--Killing Paparazzi by Robert M. Eversz (mystery). I enjoyed the first in the Nina Zero series so much that I immediately ordered the second one.

--Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (Science Fiction). I've always enjoyed well-written time travel, and this story of a modern day black woman who finds herself in the antebellum South definitely intrigues me.

--Ravenmocker by Jean Hager (mystery). The first in the Molly Bearpaw series. Mystery series with a Native American slant to them have always ranked among my favorites. I'm looking forward to sampling this series with a Cherokee protagonist.

--Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley (fiction) about a farmer at the turn of the twentieth century who decides to buy a bookshop on wheels.

--The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Science Fiction). In 2019 we find proof of extraterrestrial life and decide to send an expedition to meet it. Russell's A Thread of Grace was in the running for one of my Top Ten Reads a couple of years ago, so I'm looking forward to this one.

--Rounding the Mark by Andrea Camilleri (mystery). Another one of the Italian author's excellent Inspector Montalbano mysteries.

--Listen to the Mockingbird by Penny Rudolph (mystery). I'm looking forward to this Civil War-era mystery set in New Mexico Territory.

--The Dragonfly Secret by Clea and John Adams (children's fiction). I received a copy of this charming little book from the authors for review. My review is posted here.

There's nothing like a big, healthy TBR stack to get my reading glasses glowing!



4 comments:

  1. You got A LOT of good stuff! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a nice pile of books.

    I read Shadow Man. I did not like it as much as I liked book 2 The Face of Death and book 3 The Darker Side.

    Smoky Barrett is one tough character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, that's a HUGE stack of books!

    I've read Thread of Grace but I've never read any of Mary Doria Russell's science fiction stuff. She's a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by the 'Mailbox'. And I thought my mailbox runneth over. Look at your goodie pile.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!