Thursday, October 23, 2008

Booking Through Thursday--Life Is Better When Shared


Name a favorite literary couple and tell me why they are a favorite. If you cannot choose just one, that is okay too. Name as many as you like–sometimes narrowing down a list can be extremely difficult and painful. Or maybe that’s just me.

It's definitely not just you. I refuse to choose one favorite book, how on earth could I choose just one favorite literary couple? I have to admit that I've been a bit distracted this morning. I had a young Cooper's Hawk at the birdbath in front of my office window. Why it chose to visit the middle of metropolitan Phoenix is anyone's guess. It's a gorgeous bird, so I'm glad it did! Anyway...here are my favorite "couples" who sprang to my fractured mind first:

--Jamie and Claire from Diana Gabaldon's epic Outlander series. It's a combination of two people from radically different time periods and loads of mutual attraction, humor, disagreements and experiences.

--Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James from Deborah Crombie's award-winning mystery series. Their relationship is spiced up a bit because they both work for Scotland Yard. Normally when I read mystery series, I do not want the two main leads falling in love with each other, but Crombie is doing such a marvelous job at developing the relationship that I can't resist.

--Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy from one of my all-time favorite books, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Two people from very different levels of society who are willfull in misunderstanding each other but ultimately willing to change and grow because they finally realize they're two sides of the same coin.

--Sir John Fielding, a blind magistrate of the Bow Street Court and the young boy, Jeremy Proctor, he takes into his household from Bruce Alexander's excellent mystery series. Orphaned Proctor is brought before Sir John on a trumped up charge of theft. Sir John gets to the truth of the matter and takes the young boy into his household, ostensibly to be his eyes on various murder cases. Their relationship grows into one of mutual respect, trust and love.

--Sarah Agnes Prine and Captain Jack Elliot of Nancy E. Turner's excellent These Is My Words, based on the life of Turner's great-grandmother. The way that Turner has Sarah slowly realizing that she's in love with Captain Jack is enchanting.

--Gabriel Du Pre and his Madelaine from Peter Bowen's excellent mystery series set in Montana. Du Pre and Madelaine are Metis Indians, and the lure of their relationship is based upon their culture and a life well-lived together.

--Granny Fox and her grandson Reddy from Thorton Burgess's animal stories for children. Wise, cranky Granny. Sly and slightly bumbling Reddy. They were my very first favorite couple!

If you'd like to see more answers to this excellent meme, just click on the graphic at the top of this post!



7 comments:

  1. good for you!! I haven' read any of the ones you have listed, but I am sure they are excellent :)

    happy BTT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "Outlander" couple have won...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how many other people would vote for Jamie and Claire. I love the Outlander series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Jamie and Claire, too!

    I hadn't heard of These Is My Words, but I've already put in an interlibrary loan request for the audio version of the book. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good answer. Hope you enjoyed your visitor. I have a different couple for my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any from your list except Pride and Prejudice - and sadly, I've never been a fan of Darcy. Team Knightley all the way, hahah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I read the Duncan and Gemma series for the romance as much as the mystery!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!