Saturday, September 13, 2008

REVIEW: The Lone Traveller


Title: The Lone Traveller
Author: Susan Kelly
ISBN: 0749005416/Allison & Busby, Ltd., UK
Protagonist: Detective Chief Superintendent Gregory Summers
Setting: present-day Hungerford, Berkshire, England
Series: #1
Rating: A

First Line: This was a place of sacrifice, two millennia ago.

It's almost time for the summer fair in Hungerford, and the New Agers and the Gypsies are already in place. Tensions between the townspeople and the travellers are already strained, and when six-year-old Jordan Abbot goes missing from her home in Hungerford, the situation becomes explosive. It's up to Superintendent Gregory Summers to keep the warring groups from killing each other and to discover what happened to the missing girl.

I can't remember where I learned about this series. Perhaps I have too many resources at my disposal. (Too many resources for a bookaholic? Nah!) Wherever it was, I owe that person a big thank you. The plot is compelling, the pace is swift and sure, and there were several wonderful characters to sink my reading teeth into. Gregory Summers is a complex and likeable copper, and I'm looking forward to learning more about him as I continue reading this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I really appreciate it!